[arch-dev-public] bringing vivaldi browser to community

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 19:19:10 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2019-06-01 at 18:06 +0200, Andreas Radke via arch-dev-public
wrote:
> Am Sat, 01 Jun 2019 17:53:58 +0200
> schrieb Ike Devolder via arch-dev-public
> <arch-dev-public at archlinux.org>:
>
> > On Sat, 2019-06-01 at 21:30 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> > > You don't seem to
> > > explain why you need to ask in your email.
> >
> > Because it is proprietary and I explain that now there is a valid
> > reason compared to 3 years ago where there was practically no
> > difference between vivaldi, chromium and opera.
>
> Crap. There's no reason to support any closed browser at all. We are
> still an Open Source Linux distribution. Sure we have a relaxed
> policy
> adding closed source packages and blobs wherever needed to support
> hardware.
>
> But there's no reason to support spying tools like closed source
> browsers!
>
> -Andy

I understand your sentiment, but just being harsh does not contribute
to a solution.

To be honest, our beloved "open source" browsers are far from holy in
terms of data collection. I don't think we should try to be holier than
the pope here.

And also note there is genuine requests from users to add it to the
official repos.

Also, I'm just trying to be nice here about adding something
proprietary. Instead of just dropping it in the repo's an be done with
it.

And I'm still convinced that Vivaldi offers more unique features that
are very usefull compared to what we ship now in terms of web browsers.

But if most of the Arch Linux group is against adding it, I will honor
that.