[arch-dev-public] A contrib repository

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 17 21:31:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 02:05:47PM -1000, Gaetan Bisson via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I think it's a great idea but it needs a solid maintainer. Without a
> clear leader it's (probably) going to be a free for all and we'll drown
> under bikeshedding issues within a month. But of course that doesn't
> mean we'd lose anything trying anyhow.
>
> Among other things, I'd personally like to see the repo maintainer
> enforce sensible and consistent naming for the tools, preferring longer,
> explicit names over shorter ones. For instance, I'm sure many of us have
> one-letter scripts and if we contribute them all there's bound to be
> collisions along with the problem of not knowing at first glance what
> each tool does. We could maintain a bash alias file containing
> everyone's favorite nickname for each tool.

If we want someone to a dedicated maintainer, I can probably do so. But I
believe that we can give everyone commit access, block commits to master and just
enforce a system where two reviews are needed before merge.

I really don't think more is needed, but as noted; I can probably take some
responsibilities if the devs think that is warranted.

When it comes to packaging and naming conflicts, I wonder if it's just easier to
drop all the supplied files into `/usr/share/archcontrib` or something. Makes it
easier to package and doesn't clutter anyone's PATH with a lot of (sometimes)
unneeded tools.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16