[arch-dev-public] New kernel packages and mkinitcpio hooks

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 11 13:15:51 UTC 2019

Em novembro 10, 2019 23:54 Sébastien Luttringer escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> Nice to see that moving forward. It is a smart to move pacman installed kernel
> out of /boot.
> Why do you rely on mkinitcpio (or later dracut) to install them in /boot
> instead of the systemd kernel-install logic?

Hi Seblu,

This has been discussed a bit on the dracut thread, as well on some other threads over time.
I *personally* don't like the complexity of kernel-install that much.

I'm not saying we will never use it, just that I don't see the case for using it *right now*.
Things are a bit more flexible now, and anyone can override the hooks/scripts to install the
kernel whatever way they want. Also, I plan more changes to mkinitcpio to make it even more
flexible.

Also, dracut is not set in stone and right now it's an experimental/secondary thing. mkinitcpio
remains the default initramfs generator for Arch. I'll try to make sure it gets the changes, but
there are some that will depend on upstream taking them, as well.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini