[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Debug packages and debuginfod

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Tue Dec 1 11:58:40 UTC 2020

On 23/11/2020 16:52, Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public wrote:

>     Give me cake, or give me debug symbols.
>         - Some comedian, probably.
>
> Yo!
>
> For quite a few years people has wanted debug packages, but there has never
> really been any progress towards them. Pacman got support almost 10 years ago,
> and Allan wrote a POC for dbscripts in 2015[1].
>
> In recent years this has largely been a discussion how large such a repository
> would become, and how to distribute it. But since we don't have any numbers
> things have more or less stalled with things being discussed, but never worked
> on. Dropping an imaginary 100 GB on some poor mirror hosts doesn't seem quite
> right.
>
> However, things has been been progressing for the better when it comes to the
> distribution of debug symbols that can hopefully make this entire process easier
> for us. debuginfod has been introduced into elfutils which allows a standardized
> API for fetching remote debug symbols [2]. Eli and I have have been chatting
> a little with upstream since February to ensure we could get our package
> format supported. This was fairly straight forward with an example package
> from us and things have been working nicely.
>
> Patches in elfutils:
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=elfutils.git;a=commitdiff;h=499129e77aa88b94756bd6c8d50347721689065c
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=elfutils.git;a=commitdiff;h=0245c6ed65a80bceb105317525f0cf38bf27b623
> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=elfutils.git;a=commitdiff;h=ad09e791320d13149854ce7a0529842ea0d41a3d
>
> We have been distributing debuginfod since 0.178-1 and debuginfod support came
> to gdb with the 10.1 release, which is why I'm picking up on this now :)
>
> We did some testing with the debuginfod support with Stapelberg during the
> summer, and it works fairly well [3]. Eli has also started writing up the
> support for splitting out the debug packages into a separate pool [4]. I have
> since merged some of Elis dbscripts patches to the POC git migration server to
> test things.

Cool!

> The idea is to allow uploads of debug packages to repos.a.o into a separate
> package pool, have a public reachable debuginfod and then consider if we
> want/need debug package distribution. We can then check the new mirror
> requirements, and give a clear heads up to any potential mirror admin while
> providing debug packages. I think this is a reasonable compromise for everyone.
> OpenSUSE already has one such server as an example [5].
>
> There isn't any one way we have to progress on this, but my proposed timeline is
> as follows:
>
> - Add a debuginfod role to the infrastructure repository.

Please create a new ticket in the infra repo with some
requirements/details! Especially with information where we host
debuginfod, size requirements etc.

> - Test and deploy the dbscripts support for debug packages.

Is this separate of the Git migration? Or is the git migration a
requirement to get debug packages

> - Add support to devtools for uploading debug packages.
> - Announce debuginfod support.
> - Discuss how to distribute the packages.

We can at least host them on gemini and make them staff only in the
beginning.

Greetings,

Jelle