[arch-dev-public] mailman3/hyperkitty/postorius in the repos now

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sun Feb 2 20:32:30 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-02 19:24:15 (+0100), Sébastien Luttringer via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Great! So happy you moved forward. I'll test your work with my
> building co-owner mailing list.

Please be aware, that you might still hit bugs and such! Integration is
probably not really there yet.

But also: \o/

I'm able to test the import of (small) archives and mailing lists on my
own infrastructure when I'm home.
Really interesting would be the proper rollout of a test list on some
infrastructure and the gathering of insights from that.

> For the record, the new mailman (3.x) ecosystem is split into several
> components (with different git and version), while the current version
> (2.x) has all in one scm.

Yes. The three most basic components are mailman(3), hyperkitty and
postorius.

As hyperkitty and postorius are optional, they can be run on a
different or the same host, or not be used at all (no archiving and no
clicky web-frontend for managing accounts then respectively).

> I remember you planned to name the package against the components
> names. Why did you named mailman-core to mailman3?

In reality mailman-core is really mailman (both the repository and the
python module are called mailman). My plan is to rename/replace mailman3
with mailman eventually (when mailman(2) has been gone from the repos
for some time).

> As soon as we don't require mailman 2.x on our infra, I plan to move
> mailman to AUR.

That's great! Would be awesome to introduce it as mailman2 then and make
it conflict with the mailman(3) in the repos (they both share the same
state dir and user).

Best,
David

--