[arch-dev-public] Killing Python 2 (v2)

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 2 16:24:43 UTC 2020

On 1/2/20 11:12 AM, Jelle van der Waa wrote:

> # Remove python2 support
>
> * pycharm-community-edition - remove python2 support

Seems reasonable to not encourage people to use python2 in an IDE these
days.

> * vim - remove python2 support

Are there any stats on vim ecosystem plugins which use the python2
binding? Including non-packaged plugins?

Because it's more annoying to disable support for python2 in something
that requires recompiling the package to use it, and if we have packaged
plugins which use python2 then we definitely cannot remove non-leaf
functionality first. Most other things like bindings could most likely
be built separately if someone really needed them...

> * graphviz - remove python2 bindings or update to python3
> * notmuch - switch to python3 bindings
> * libproxy - remove python2 bindings

These all seem perfectly reasonable, no different from dropping any
python2 leaf module that serves no useful purpose.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User