[arch-dev-public] Killing Python 2 (v2)

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 2 16:43:44 UTC 2020

Em janeiro 2, 2020 13:24 Eli Schwartz via arch-dev-public escreveu:
>> * pycharm-community-edition - remove python2 support
>
> Seems reasonable to not encourage people to use python2 in an IDE these
> days.

Hi All,

As we have discussed on IRC, I think that editors and python2 *lint* and *syntax*
checkers, should be exempt from this.

I'm for one use pycharm *a lot* and I'm expected/expecting to convert thousands of
python2 code to python3 code in the coming *years*, not months, years.

I'm perfectly fine installing python2 from the AUR for *running* python2 code, but
how can people be encouraged to convert python2 code without even being able to syntax
check it?

So, in that regards, editores/linters/syntax checkers/etc, should be exempt from this,
but *only* if they don't necessarily require python2 for that. As far as I know, pycharm
doesn't require python2 itself for syntax highlighting and lint. Don't know about the
others though.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini