[arch-dev-public] Killing Python 2 (v2)

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 2 19:03:37 UTC 2020

Em janeiro 2, 2020 14:10 Brett Cornwall escreveu:
> On 2020-01-02 13:43, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public wrote:
>
> Er, the first end-of-life was five years ago and was then extended to
> 2020 to help accommodate the transition. I think a five-year grace
> period was long enough already...

While I agree with that, it doesn't change the fact that having python2
lint and syntax checking tools will *still* be helpful in the foreseeable
future.

There are lots of reasons, educational ones, proprietary legacy code ones,
etc.

Let's not throw the baby out with the water. Just saying, if there's an opportunity
to keep linters and syntax checkers/highlighters that don't necessarily require python2,
it's not doing any *real* harm, provided they still are maintained projects.

Will we eventually remove those as well? Sure. But the ability to read python2 code properly
is independent of the ability to *run* python2 code. They are separate things.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini