[arch-dev-public] Restricting ability to post news items

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 6 00:04:16 UTC 2020

On 6/1/20 9:12 am, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
> Em janeiro 5, 2020 19:25 Allan McRae via arch-dev-public escreveu:
>>
>> Read the original message and not the partial quote that you made.  I
>> explicitly said there was an exception for --overwrite type posts.
>>
>> But any restriction being made on posting due to not posting drafts to
>> the list would be complete.
>>

> Hi Allan,
>
> I think you're overreacting (again) for something that's not properly
> coded anywhere.
> And, the last time this was discussed, I have talked about cases of news
> that couldn't
> be brought on a-d-p for discussion. We have other places to discuss
> those (staff@), but
> still, until we have *clear* guidelines about this, let's not rush to
> implement anything.

My apologies.  I believed this had been covered on the mailing list and
I am told it was only on IRC, and never passed on to the TU channel,
which I will accept as an excuse despite everyone(?) involved but the
poster being on both channels...

> I have proposed a news entry regarding zstd, Robin did the statistics
> and we've discussed this
> for 2 days on #archlinux-tu. If you're looking for somebody to blame,
> look no further. Take away
> my news posting rights (you'll have to also take away my archweb admin
> rights in this case).
>
> And let's properly codify this ok? Because it's not codified anywhere. I
> could've asked Robin
> to send an email to a-d-p, but most of the work we've done on the draft
> was on a pad. This was
> reviewed by quite a few people. I asked Robin to do it, because since
> they pushed zstd, they
> should've also be the ones doing the news entry. But I would do it
> myself this week, if they
> didn't.

Do we really need to write down everything?  Have we reached a point in
the distro where common sense has stopped?  Why would an announcement
that affects the whole distro not be run past all team members by default?

Allan