[arch-dev-public] Discussion - Increasing our CPU requirements

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 29 15:44:28 UTC 2020

On 3/29/20 11:25 AM, Filipe Laíns via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I want to clarify what I am proposing.
>
> I would not be an entirely new architecture in the sense of i686, CPU
> extensions are not different architectures and shouldn't be treated as
> such.
>
> What I would for us to do is to create a x86-64-axv2, etc. that would
> complement x86-64. We would not add it as a target for all packages,
> just for the ones that make sense.
>
> For this pacman would have to support architecture priority. We could
> have something like this:
>
> Architecture = x86-64-axv2 x86-64
>
> This means if a x86-64-axv2 package is available, it would be selected
> over the x86-64 one. That way we don't need to rebuild all packages.

Where would you store this package? The pkgname must be unique in each
repository database, so you would need a community-avx2 repository.

Then it is as simple as Santiago said, just have users add the
additional repository if they need it, giving it precedence in pacman.conf.
(Except I will go one step further and say this is the *only* way.)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User