[arch-dev-public] Removing dependency on fontconfig/xorg-mkfontscale of font packages

Chih-Hsuan Yen yan12125 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 10:35:17 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 01:26:11AM +0200, Frederik Schwan via arch-dev-public wrote:
> We received a Feature Request today to remove fontconfig and xorg-mkfontscale dependencies from our font packages according to our own font packaging guidelines [0].
>
> I discussed with Eli on #archlinux-bugs and we think it's a no-brainer but before creating a TODO we'd like to ask for your opinions first.
>
> Thank you
>
> [0] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/66012

Hi,

Just as a reference - in another similar feature request [1], Doug
Newgard mentioned that not everyone agrees on removing fontconfig and/or
xorg-mkfontscale. I believe the following two mails in the mentioned
arch-dev-public thread are most relevant: [2][3].

Having said that, I agrees on removing fontconfig & xorg-mkfontscale.

Best,

Chih-Hsuan Yen

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/59164
[2] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2016-April/027946.html