[arch-dev-public] RFC: go-pie removal in favour of GOFLAGS

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Wed May 6 20:28:20 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 12:56:30AM -0700, Anatol Pomozov via arch-dev-public wrote:
> And if we plan to encourage adding the cache warmup to all golang
> PKGBUILD (that's gonna be thousands of packages) then this extra
> complexity need be justified. Anyone who wants to follow our advise
> needs to have clear answers to following questions: Is this feature
> solely to avoid the download during the build() step or there is
> something else? Why downloading in build() is bad, does it hurt the
> users? What use-cases does show an advantage of the cache warmup..
> etc..

There are something like 140 packages using go today in our repositories today,
there is no need for some grand justification. The justification, if anything is
needed, is this RFC alone and the fact we should strive to follow the packaging
guidelines when applicable.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16