[arch-dev-public] RFC: go-pie removal in favour of GOFLAGS

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Wed May 6 20:33:37 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 04:58:01PM -0400, Eli Schwartz via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Why does it matter to makepkg how the go compiler downloads source code,
> or using which options? Any download that is done outside the source=()
> array is violating the PKGBUILD contract, and is not cached in $SRCDEST.
> It is therefore not persisted between successive clean chroot builds
> since those use a temporary $HOME and $BUILDDIR which is deleted between
> uses. And regardless of any other factors, it will not be able to work
> if the makepkg tool is executed in an environment where the network has
> been disabled.

Sure, any code downloaded outside of source violates the farily vague PKGBUILD
contract. However, if TU candidate starts using `patch` or `git submodule` in
either `build` or `check` you are going to raise an eyebrow. And you are most
likely going to say they need to go into `prepare`.

Source code modification doesn't belong in pkgver, build, nor check, nor
package. So why is Go, and it's silly compiler, an exception?

> So, we don't get caching and we don't get offline builds. That's beyond
> question.

One ecosystem gets closer to the goal. That is good enough, isn't it?

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16