[arch-dev-public] rfc: reflector and providing pacman-mirrorlist

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 18 23:32:54 UTC 2020

On 10/18/20 7:01 PM, Xyne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's an open ticket to have the reflector package provide
> "pacman-mirrorlist" so that users can remove the latter:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/67653#comment193375
>
> The problem is that the package does not include a mirrorlist and it
> will only create one if the user starts the provided service, which
> is entirely optional (I do not use it, for example). The dependency
> is thus not satisfied without user intervention.
>
> I'm inclined to leave it as is (no provides) rather than risk broken
> pacman dependencies because a user forgot to run the service, but I'm
> still weighing the pros and cons. Does anyone here have an opinion or
> a suggestion of how to handle this elegantly?

$ pacman -Qi nomirrorlist
Description     : Dummy package to replace pacman-mirrorlist
Provides        : pacman-mirrorlist
Depends On      : pacman  reflector
Conflicts With  : pacman-mirrorlist
Replaces        : pacman-mirrorlist

I have a dedicated personal package to force resolution to it rather
than the official mirrorlist; I then have the freedom to make it
generate a mirrorlist in post_install, or at least provide the file
itself as a backup file with a randomly chosen mirror that at least works.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User