[arch-dev-public] rfc: reflector and providing pacman-mirrorlist

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Oct 18 23:01:55 UTC 2020

Hi all,

There's an open ticket to have the reflector package provide "pacman-mirrorlist" so that users can remove the latter: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/67653#comment193375

The problem is that the package does not include a mirrorlist and it will only create one if the user starts the provided service, which is entirely optional (I do not use it, for example). The dependency is thus not satisfied without user intervention.

I'm inclined to leave it as is (no provides) rather than risk broken pacman dependencies because a user forgot to run the service, but I'm still weighing the pros and cons. Does anyone here have an opinion or a suggestion of how to handle this elegantly?

Regards,
Xyne