[arch-dev-public] Packages added to todo list 'Remove libjpeg from depends/makedepends/optdepends and use shared object dependency'

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Mon Oct 19 09:39:04 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-18 23:25:24 (+0300), Evangelos Foutras via arch-dev-public wrote:
> David, following the concerns raised on IRC [1], is this todo getting canceled?
>
> [1] no prior discussion, library with stable soname, prioritization
> and scalability of adding sodeps to more packages

Yes.

If anyone is still interested in depending on the package rather than a
manual virtual dependency (so that it can be removed), it is as easy as
switching from "libjpeg" to "libjpeg-turbo".
If you would like to depend on the shared object instead/also: The
information on how to do that is in the mail you have received.

Closing I would like to add, that I found the aggressiveness of the
"conversation" that was held nothing short of off-putting.
As a community we have to strive for discussing things on a technical
level without reverting to personal attacks, generalization and rage.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de