[arch-dev-public] archiso v49 with new features

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Fri Oct 30 17:14:08 UTC 2020

Hey all!

So, there are some exciting news for the upcoming archiso release!
Maybe some of you have followed the presentations during Arch Conf 2020. I did
one on archiso.

The upcoming v49 will include accessibility features for blind and visually
impaired, making it possible to install Arch Linux with the help of auditory
feedback.
Not only the resulting ISO itself has accessibility support now, but also the
script to test a built image locally - run_archiso (via an option flag).
Many thanks go to Alexander Epaneshnikov for spending the time to integrate his
efforts from the talking-arch project into our builtin releng profile!

Additionally, the use of build.sh scripts per profile has been removed. This is
due to the fact that archiso has moved to (mostly) declarative profiles, which
makes creating profiles less complicated (as now only mkarchiso is required to
build a profile).
There are still a few outstanding rough edges, but most of those are already
tracked and I believe we have arrived at a pretty decent state by now.
Many thanks go to nl6720 for a lot of brainstorming, implementing, breaking and
fixing! :)

If this mail reads like a changelog, then well, it is because I don't have a
changelog in the project yet! ;-)
Apart from that I thought it might be worthwhile to write a news item
about it after the next ISO has been released and share the above two
changes on the website. What do you think?

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de