[arch-dev-public] Arch Linux in GSOC 2021

Konstantin Gizdov arch at kge.pw
Fri Oct 30 19:18:39 UTC 2020

Hi all!

Last year Arch Linux applied to be a mentoring organisation in the
Google Summer of Code program. There were quite a few cool projects and
lots of keen people. Unfortunately, we were not selected.

However, I was hoping people are excited about trying again this year as
well. I have already been contacted by a couple of people who saw the
GSOC page on the Dev Wiki and are showing quite some interest. I
presume, if we advertise we will get a lot of interested people.

GSOC application period starts on January 29, 2021 for mentoring
organisations and closes on February 19, 2021. We should make sure we
satisfy the requirements [1]:
1. Mentor organisations must run an active open source or free software
project.
2. Have produced and released software under an OSI approved license [2].
3. Must not be based in a country currently embargoed by the United States.

I think we do fall into those categories and I would suggest this year
we start preparing a bit earlier to improve our chances. Let's try and
coordinate an effort. Maybe start with the people keen on mentoring and
collation of prospective project ideas.

[1] - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/
[2] - https://opensource.org/licenses

--