[arch-dev-public] Upcoming PHP 8.1 update

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Dec 6 17:32:49 UTC 2021

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some more research (and also check
some of my own apps). So far it does not seem that bad and most things
work when disabling deprecation warnings and ignore dependency on the
exact minor version of PHP.

MediaWiki works fine with PHP 8.0 (I haven't check 8.1 yet). I am also
preparing an update to 1.37. I don't think the remaining issues
regarding Elasticsearch affect us.

Flyspray (our Bug-Tracker) seems to be compatible with PHP 8.0
(according to its composer.json). So there is a chance it will work
with 8.1 as well.

In general we could provide PHP 7 till its end of life in about eleven
months. But I don't think its worth providing several different minor
versions at the same time. This is not how semver is supposed to work
:-) (Someone should check Nextcloud but looking at their PR it mostly
seems about tests, documentation and deprecations but no hard errors).

Greetings,

Pierre