[arch-dev-public] OpenSearch released to Community

Justin Kromlinger hashworks at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 31 16:30:46 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

As mentioned in a previous mail [0] I've taken some time to bring the ElasticSearch fork OpenSearch
to Community [1].

I've also added twelve plugin packages, a package for the Kibana fork OpenSearch Dashboards and
eight plugin packages for that. Additionally I packaged the opensearch-cli Go binary which
currently conflicts with the opensearch package. More plugins will follow, but most of them can be
installed manually as well (f.e. ingest-attachment).

I've tested both opensearch and opensearch-dashboards with my old node data, but some plugins are
untested because I have no experience with them (primarily the security plugin), so I would be
happy if someone could test them out.

Please note that opensearch doesn't use the upstream-included JRE and opensearch-dashboards doesn't
use the upstream-included NodeJS but the ones provided by our repositories. Please keep that in
mind for any bug reports towards upstream.

This brings up the elastic-question: What should we do with the elasticsearch and kibana packages?
If we keep them, someone would need to adopt them - I will orphan them since I won't be using
them anymore. Do we want to update them to their newest version with the new Elastic license? Or
drop them to the AUR?

If we update them to a newer version the beats packages versions are complicated as well. The 7.X
versions already need additional configuration in opensearch and versions >=7.13 won't work at all
[2]. I would recommend new packages for the beats-oss version 7.12.1 or even 7.10.2 as recommended
by opensearch.

Euch einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr or a Happy New Year,
hashworks

[0] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2021-August/030496.html
[1] https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=opensearch
[2] https://opensearch.org/docs/latest/clients/agents-and-ingestion-tools/index/