[arch-dev-public] RFC: Using RFCs

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 16 16:38:06 UTC 2021

Em fevereiro 15, 2021 18:54 Morten Linderud escreveu:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:45:02PM -0300, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
>> Em fevereiro 15, 2021 15:27 Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public escreveu:
>> >
>> > A general concern is "who has access to the repository"? Can anyone take the
>> > template and submit an RFC that we'd need to consider on the mailing list after
>> > a subsequent discussion? I can see it clear as sky the day Gitlab opens and
>> > someone figures they'll submit an RFC to move away from systemd to
>> > sysvinit/openrc/runit clear as day.
>> >

>> We discussed this and I think eventually anyone should be able to propose a RFC. But,
>> since as our gitlab isn't open and, the rfc requires an a-d-p announcement, this is limited
>> to staff members for now.
>>
>> The repository currently allows anyone with access to create MR's, but it can be restricted to
>> members only, if needed.
>
> This doesn't address the issue and just reiterated the points? Gitlab is going
> to be opened within the next months and we have users on Gitlab today. It's not
> limited to staff.
>
> Is it our obligation to propose any user-made RFC to a-d-p on behalf of them? Do
> we want that?
>
> The process is not clear and either assumes the RFC proposer can announce it, or
> makes it implicit that it will be announced.

It's my understanding that Allan made some amendments that address this issue specifically.
But basically I think that a TU/Dev/Staff should be the one doing the post to a-d-p after
vetting/sponsoring the RFC. But I maintain that I think anyone should eventually be able to
create RFC's.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini