[arch-dev-public] News draft: Moving to Zstandard images by default on mkinitcpio

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 17 15:05:51 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 11:40:58AM -0300, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Em fevereiro 17, 2021 11:13 Christian Hesse escreveu:
> > Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public <arch-dev-public at lists.archlinux.org>
> > on Wed, 2021/02/17 10:51:
> > > All official kernels of Arch Linux now support zstd compressed initramfs
> > > images, so mkinitcpio is switching to zstd compressed images by default on
> > > the version that is currently on [testing].
> >
> > You should name the version number, just to make sure the context is not lost
> > after the move.
> > --
>
> Good idea. I've reworked the text of the first paragraph to:
>
> ----
> As linux-lts moved to the 5.10 version, all official kernels of Arch Linux now support zstd compressed
> initramfs images, so mkinitcpio is switching to zstd compressed images by default with version 30,
> which is currently on [testing].
> ----

Why the rush though? The kernels where released not even a day ago and why risk
breaking peoples setup? Even if partial upgrading the kernel is not recommended
it's a fairly common strategy.

I'd rather wait a good week for people to have completed the upgrades. I
personally do this so I can chug along the testing repositories more easily and
not have to reboot every day for my webcam to work.

zstd is nice, but not lets-break-a-common-upgrade-strategy nice.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16