[arch-dev-public] News draft: Moving to Zstandard images by default on mkinitcpio

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 17 16:02:46 UTC 2021

Em fevereiro 17, 2021 12:05 Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public escreveu:

> Why the rush though? The kernels where released not even a day ago and why risk
> breaking peoples setup? Even if partial upgrading the kernel is not recommended
> it's a fairly common strategy.

Hence the news entry?

> I'd rather wait a good week for people to have completed the upgrades. I
> personally do this so I can chug along the testing repositories more easily and
> not have to reboot every day for my webcam to work.

It can be a week, a month, or even more before everyone using Arch has updated. This
has the potential to affect only users running linux-lts on 5.4 or holding back linux
on a version prior to 5.9, for some reason. Most users won't even be affected by this.

> zstd is nice, but not lets-break-a-common-upgrade-strategy nice.

I can delay the update for an arbitrary number of days (a week?), but in the end it's
arbitrary, without clear guidelines.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini