[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Sat Jan 16 15:00:46 UTC 2021

It looks like Sync will only work with official Chrome starting two
months from now. [1] It is understandable to some extend, perhaps to
guard against malicious applications using unofficial (non-Chrome) API
keys and tricking users to log into their account. This argument
doesn't hold much ground in the context of trusted builds like our
chromium package, but I doubt Google would bother to work with us
(i.e.: each individual Linux distro) on this to find a workable
solution going forward.

This is intended as a heads-up; I am not sure what we're going to do yet.

[1] https://blog.chromium.org/2021/01/limiting-private-api-availability-in.html