[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Tue Jan 19 20:08:26 UTC 2021

Jochen Eisinger (Director of Engineering, Chrome) has confirmed that the
killing of our API keys is a done deal. He also does not seem interested
in the slightest bit to explore possible remedies for Chromium packages.

If Chrome's keys are still public in March, I would want to try and use
them in our Chromium package for however long they remain unchanged and
non-secret. If a team member thinks this is a terrible idea, please let
me know.

If (or when) the above workaround fails, I am going to stop maintaining
Chromium and be in favor of dropping the package from our repos, though
I have a feeling someone will want to adopt it despite the reduction in
functionality.

[1]
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/embedder-dev/c/NXm7GIKTNTE/m/Qxcew5lfCAAJ