[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:28:18 UTC 2021

Hi

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 12:17 PM Jelle van der Waa via arch-dev-public
<arch-dev-public at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 20/01/2021 18:28, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > Em janeiro 20, 2021 13:38 Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public escreveu:
> >> I'm fine with this approach, and I hope it works for a long time.
> >>

> > After reading this thread [0], I think that, if we keep using their
> > keys, or even
> > start using the chrome keys, this might put Arch into muddy legal waters
> > and I don't
> > think that's a good idea.
>
> I feel the same, I personally don't want us to bear the burden of a
> possible backlash from a big corporation for us potentially misusing
> their API keys.
>
> Note that the Fedora maintainer noted that they will not include these
> API keys although they are readily available. [1]
>
> [1] https://twitter.com/spotfoss/status/1351665708837572609

Would it be possible to make this "Google cloud sync" functionality
optional/pluggable? i.e. the opensource Chromium package is going to
be available in the official repo. And anyone who wants to enable the
GoogleSync has to install a package from AUR. Similar to how
Chromium+DRM integration is done using chromium-widevine AUR package.