[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Konstantin Gizdov arch at kge.pw
Wed Jan 27 00:12:39 UTC 2021

On 1/27/21 1:49 AM, Massimiliano Torromeo via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I agree with you 100% Eli.
>
> I find this whole thing of "sticking it" to Google just ridiculous. Like you
> really think they would even care?
No and that's the problem. And even if they don't, we should just give in?

> I mean, I also find the whole situation irritating and their arguments actually
> insulting to our intelligence but there's no winning this.
That may be, but I don't agree this is an argument to go belly up.

> On the other hand I seem to be the only one here that actually need chromium
> for my daily work and dropping it to AUR is already a big enough inconvenience
> to let me consider switching distro on my work laptop, but banning it from the
> AUR!? Do you even care about our users?
No, you are not the only one. I am using Chromium exclusively actually.
Every day and even some work things I do only work in Chromium. I
completely know where you are coming from. I do care about the users,
because I am one of them. I am willing to do this myself. I will find
another way, but unless I do find another way, I will forever be stuck
in trying to find more and more ways to suck up to Google and their
stupid policies, and give in to their coercion. Which I am not willing
to do anymore. That is my reasoning.

> I personally think that as long as there is a willing maintainer we should
> just package chromium without the google api keys just like fedora is doing?
> Or are we also dropping the multitude of other browsers with no google sync/
> safe browsing integrations?

I do not think we should ship chromium at all, although Safe Browsing
was never a thing I enjoyed or found a benefit in. It can also be
misused badly [1].

--
Regards,
Konstantin