[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Massimiliano Torromeo massimiliano.torromeo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 23:49:15 UTC 2021

In data mercoledì 27 gennaio 2021 00:35:50 CET, Eli Schwartz via arch-dev-
public ha scritto:
> On 1/26/21 6:23 PM, Konstantin Gizdov via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > I am not sure how this would be taken, but I propose we not only remove
> > it from the repos, but we clean the AUR of Chromium and Chrome too and
> > we enforce no one uploads any more such variants. This, I believe, is
> > the only way the message will be loud and clear to our users because
> > people will have to really share Chrome PKGBUILDs on 3rd party platforms
> > as if it were illegal. In the end, this is what Google wants, right!? We
> > cannot distribute Chrome's binary nor can we build a functioning
> > Chromium. They essentially want their software no where near our _dirty_
> > platform. I think we should abide.
>
> This is histrionics. I don't see why we should ban the proprietary
> google-chrome package, which is already somewhat inconvenient to use
> because of the AUR, over politics. Where is your respect for the rights
> of our users?
>
> We're not in the business of telling people they're not allowed to use
> the AUR for the express purpose which the AUR was created for. That's a
> REALLY hot take.

I agree with you 100% Eli.

I find this whole thing of "sticking it" to Google just ridiculous. Like you
really think they would even care?

I mean, I also find the whole situation irritating and their arguments actually
insulting to our intelligence but there's no winning this.

On the other hand I seem to be the only one here that actually need chromium
for my daily work and dropping it to AUR is already a big enough inconvenience
to let me consider switching distro on my work laptop, but banning it from the
AUR!? Do you even care about our users?

I personally think that as long as there is a willing maintainer we should
just package chromium without the google api keys just like fedora is doing?
Or are we also dropping the multitude of other browsers with no google sync/
safe browsing integrations?

--
Massimiliano Torromeo