[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 26 23:35:50 UTC 2021

On 1/26/21 6:23 PM, Konstantin Gizdov via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I am not sure how this would be taken, but I propose we not only remove
> it from the repos, but we clean the AUR of Chromium and Chrome too and
> we enforce no one uploads any more such variants. This, I believe, is
> the only way the message will be loud and clear to our users because
> people will have to really share Chrome PKGBUILDs on 3rd party platforms
> as if it were illegal. In the end, this is what Google wants, right!? We
> cannot distribute Chrome's binary nor can we build a functioning
> Chromium. They essentially want their software no where near our _dirty_
> platform. I think we should abide.
This is histrionics. I don't see why we should ban the proprietary
google-chrome package, which is already somewhat inconvenient to use
because of the AUR, over politics. Where is your respect for the rights
of our users?

We're not in the business of telling people they're not allowed to use
the AUR for the express purpose which the AUR was created for. That's a
REALLY hot take.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User