[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 27 08:29:38 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 03:19:09AM +0200, Konstantin Gizdov via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On 1/27/21 1:31 AM, Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > I disagree on utilzing the AUR for an extended turf-war. Drop it from the
> > repositories and people can maintain it in the AUR. It's user contributed stuff
> > anyway and you are going to battle fork regardless for moderation purposes.
> >
> > Is chrome banned? Ungoogled-chromium fine? Banned? What about other derivative
> > crap you suddenly need to actively ban and think about?
> >
> > Assuming someone is even there to even hit the button on the deletion request.
> >
> Correct me if I'm wrong. An AUR package will have to have the keys
> verbatim in the PKGBUILD. We would be essentially hosting this
> information on the AUR, which would be in violation of Google's new
> terms, right? So how are we going to allow such packages and not get a
> Cease and Desist?
>
> On that point, we could grep by the value of the keys and delete
> automatically.

It doesn't matter. They wouldn't get anywhere with a cease and desist on some
semi-public strings in some PKGBUILD. It's user submitted content and we are not
breaking anything by giving people recipes for ToS/EULA breaking products of
said recipe.

This is how we can keep proprietary software in the AUR after all. Nothing
changes.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16