[arch-dev-public] Changes to the Code of Conduct

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Wed Jul 14 10:00:57 UTC 2021

On 2021-07-14 13:58:07 (+1000), Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I just read the document as it stands after your proposed changes. My
> conclusion was it is too long, often explained points in too much
> detail, and was too long!

I agree. The current work focusses mainly on splitting out technical
guidelines (while still referencing them), as those - apart from
containing links to outside resources - are also more likely to change
more often and should not be part of the Terms of Service.

I realize, that the following was not mentioned in my first mail:
Without the minimum set of above changes we can not release the Terms of
Service as is. This is because the ToS are a set of legal documents,
that once released, can only be changed with prior notice of about a
month. With inline references to other documents that are not explicitly
marked as "outside of the ToS" and which may change at arbitrary points
in time, this is of course not possible.

> Compare with Codes of Conduct from other distros.
>
> Debian: https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct
> Gentoo: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct
> Fedora: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
> Suse: https://suse.com/betaprogram/codeofconduct/

Some of them (but also others) are actually referenced in the ticket,
that belongs to the merge request. I agree that ours is still too
specific (and therefore also too long).

> I highly recommend taking a scalpel to the current text.  I'm happy to
> take a pass if you would like my suggestions in more solid format.

That would be very awesome, thank you!

Preferably I would like to do further changes to the CoC (to improve
wording and conciseness) in a follow-up MR though, as the diff will
otherwise become a bit extreme in the current one.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de