[arch-dev-public] RFC: Using RFCs

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 2 11:51:25 UTC 2021

On 3/2/21 2:37 AM, Sébastien Luttringer via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-03-02 at 00:19 +0100, Levente Polyak via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> I think this is a great step for our distro to get a nicely pre shaped
>> proposals before hitting the final review and presentation phase as well
>> as a central point for storing those. I think its pretty tough for fresh
>> staff to find discussions, reasoning and details around a certain topic
>> or formulation and this is a great step of address this.
> Same feeling.
>
> Nevertheless after reading the final text, it's still unclear to me how the
> proposals are stamped accepted or rejected and by how many of us?
>
> Even accepted, what does that means?
> We currently have several groups, with different decision-making systems and
> dynamics. For example, developers use (some sort of) consensus, the TUs
> majority, etc. Is each group decide if they will apply them with there voting
> system? Like companies with real RFC (e.g DANE). Is a larger group could use
> this to push changes in another?

I personally didn't have the impression like we would have colliding
voting systems for deciding about distro RFCs. We basically just
ratified the process of getting to a proposal plus a central place where
those need to be stored.

To my understanding once a to be proposed RFC hits this mailinglist, we
still follow the very same principles of consensus as we followed so far.

If anyone wants to change how a proposal is decided, it would need to be
another RFC that reaches consensus :)

cheers,
Levente