[arch-dev-public] RFC: Use x86_64-v2 architecture

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Wed Mar 3 22:13:13 UTC 2021

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 23:34, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public
<arch-dev-public at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
> Options realistically are:
>
> 1) bump the baseline
> 2) provide a second more optimized port.

3) defer this until better tooling is available to implement (2)

Since the RFC is about bumping -march to x86_64-v2, it either gets
accepted and my desktop computer can no longer run Arch, or the RFC
gets rejected and another approach is proposed in the future.
Discussing alternative implementations seems out of scope.

For what is worth, you mentioned RHEL 9 adopting x86_64-v2 but I'm not
sure it translates well to Arch; companies have shorter replacement
timelines for servers and workstations so it makes sense for upcoming
RHEL releases to target newer hardware. Furthermore, older machines
can stay with RHEL 8 until 2029; Arch doesn't have a fallback like
that.