[arch-dev-public] RFC: Use x86_64-v2 architecture

Sven-Hendrik Haase svenstaro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 22:30:25 UTC 2021

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 23:13, Evangelos Foutras via arch-dev-public
<arch-dev-public at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 at 23:34, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public
> <arch-dev-public at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Options realistically are:
> >
> > 1) bump the baseline
> > 2) provide a second more optimized port.
>
> 3) defer this until better tooling is available to implement (2)
>
> Since the RFC is about bumping -march to x86_64-v2, it either gets
> accepted and my desktop computer can no longer run Arch, or the RFC
> gets rejected and another approach is proposed in the future.
> Discussing alternative implementations seems out of scope.
>
> For what is worth, you mentioned RHEL 9 adopting x86_64-v2 but I'm not
> sure it translates well to Arch; companies have shorter replacement
> timelines for servers and workstations so it makes sense for upcoming
> RHEL releases to target newer hardware. Furthermore, older machines
> can stay with RHEL 8 until 2029; Arch doesn't have a fallback like
> that.

I'll also back 3). I think having a general mechanism for this and not
just bumping baseline and then being able to ship baseline, -v2, -v3,
-v4 with that hypothetical general mechanism would make more sense and
be less of a hack. Otherwise, we're just going to have the same
conversation again down the road.