[arch-dev-public] RFC: Use x86_64-v2 architecture

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 3 22:51:12 UTC 2021

On 4/3/21 8:30 am, Sven-Hendrik Haase via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I'll also back 3). I think having a general mechanism for this and not
> just bumping baseline and then being able to ship baseline, -v2, -v3,
> -v4 with that hypothetical general mechanism would make more sense and
> be less of a hack. Otherwise, we're just going to have the same
> conversation again down the road.

This RFC essentially comes down to where Arch positions itself.  When
Arch was founded, it was explicitly built for modern CPUs and that was
stated as one of its distinguishing features.  Firstly i586, then bumped
to i686.

This RFC is asking whether we still follow this founding principle.

BTW, the tooling to do a -v2 and/or -v3 port is already there.  Nothing
much has changed in terms of tooling since we removed i686.  So adding a
port is simple.  What is an issue is whether we want a build server to
monitor the repos for differences and automatically fill them.  That
would require package signing infrastructure that we have not achieve
for databases in 9.5 years...

Allan