[arch-dev-public] Killing python2 v3...v4...v5

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 15 18:10:48 UTC 2021

Yo!

As people know python2 has been unsupported for a year and we current have ~170
python2 packages in our repositories. Currently the removal has been fairly slow
and done a bit ad-hoc. There has been a todo list but the follow up to that has
not really been great and I think it's reasonable for us to try and fix the
remaining packages to the best of our abilities.

Thus I'm proposing a game plan!

1) Todo list for removal of all python2 checkdepends in packages
2) Remove free python2 packages
3) Remove packages with python3 equivalents
4) Remove unported and unsupported packages depending on python2

Clearly this is ambitious and there are going to be exceptions, but it would be
great to have most of this work done within the next couple of months.

The exceptions are largely going to be anything still using python2 for their
build system dependencies. This is a fine compromise as this should leave us
with a minimal set of packages to take care of.

Rest of the problematic packages can be found on a handy list with what fedora
is working on: https://fedora.portingdb.xyz/

If there are no objections I'll start preparing the needed todo lists and figure
out the uneeded python2 packages. Should probably update the long-standing
python2 removal todo as well.

https://archlinux.org/todo/conversion-of-programs-that-use-python-2-to-python-3/

Cheers!

--