[arch-dev-public] Killing python2 v3...v4...v5

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 15 18:46:52 UTC 2021

On 3/15/21 2:10 PM, Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Yo!
>
> As people know python2 has been unsupported for a year and we current have ~170
> python2 packages in our repositories. Currently the removal has been fairly slow
> and done a bit ad-hoc. There has been a todo list but the follow up to that has
> not really been great and I think it's reasonable for us to try and fix the
> remaining packages to the best of our abilities.
>
> Thus I'm proposing a game plan!
>
> 1) Todo list for removal of all python2 checkdepends in packages

For the record, I'm not really happy about this since I feel we should
endeavor to test all software in the repos. I don't believe python2
should be an exception.

I believe we can do this right, though.

For example, yesterday you asked me directly about html5lib and its
check dependency on the lxml, bs4, soupsieve build cycle dependency. I
responded that I don't want to drop the testsuite entirely, however,
lxml is an optional treebuilder for html5lib and we only have html5lib
in the repos *anyway* due to being used in the leaf package "python2-pip".

So, I removed the checkdepends on python2-lxml, excluded the lxml
treebuilder tests from the check() function, and stopped advertising
lxml support in python2-html5lib:

https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/python-html5lib&id=872eb6022921c71ef871bd9699f6353262f29b5c

However, I did not drop python2-pytest-expect since I need it to test
the functionality which pip uses.

I would like to continue doing so...

--
Eli Schwartz