[arch-dev-public] gnupg 2.3.1-1 pulled from [testing]

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue May 11 13:15:50 UTC 2021

On 11/5/21 10:28 pm, Lukas Fleischer via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Hi Morten,
>
> Thanks for the summary.
>
> On Mon, 10 May 2021 at 13:31:13, Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> Why was this removed with no headsup? It caused a fair bit of confusion for a
>> few people and the cause of this issue isn't very clear when packaged fail to
>> verify. Ideally we should have pushed gnupg with an epoch?
>
> I removed the package after Jan informed me yesterday that the package
> is broken. Apologies for not making a public announcement; I should have
> send an email to our mailing lists.
>
> The package has two undocumented patches, one to remove a warning and
> another one that's required for pacman. I was not aware that pacman
> required a patched version of GnuPG and will work on porting/rebasing
> and documenting the patches before pushing a new build.

Our patch documentation policy is non-existent, but you'd have to assume
that revert was in the package for a reason.  Looking in the SVN history:

https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/commit/ce66f685cf14e94c9f1aa6fb15abd017a830b64a

> When it comes to pushing with epoch, my understanding was that it is
> expected that packages break occasionally in [testing] and might get
> dropped. The recommendation for all [testing] users used to be to
> subscribe to arch-dev-public where dropped packages are (or at least
> should be) announced. Do we want to provide upgrade paths for broken
> packages in [testing]?

And announcement on arch-dev-public has been enough previously.  No need
for an epoch build.

I'd also like to query why 2.3.x was packaged at all?  From the 2.3
series announcement:

"We are pleased to announce the availability of a new GnuPG release:
version 2.3.0. This release marks the start of public testing releases
eventually leading to a new stable version 2.4."

It seems that we should stay with 2.2.x until 2.4 is released, and the
out-of-date flag should be ignored.  That will give time to fix the
fallout from this change (which is the root cause of the issue that was
noticed):
https://dev.gnupg.org/T4735

Allan