[arch-dev-public] Arch Monthly Report - November

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Wed Nov 17 15:15:41 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 17/11/2021 13:27, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On 17/11/21 22:03, Jelle van der Waa via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> ## Devtools
>>
>> * pacman's makepkg.conf is synced with new hardening CFLAGS such as
>> `-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
>> -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection`
>
> Any chance we enable LTO too.  This was not added by default to the
> pacman package - my opinion is the build resources for LTO are a bit
> high, so the user should enable it if wanted in the system makepkg.conf.
>   But we did agree to enable it for system packages, and thus needs
> added to devtools makepkg.conf:
>
> https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/rfcs/-/blob/master/rfcs/0004-lto-by-default.rst

Good point, I wanted to ask anthraxx about it and I forgot. The release
is not yet made so I think it can make it in.
>> ## DBScripts
>>
>> There has been great progress on debug support for dbscripts , review
>> and testing is very much appreciated. [1]
>
> I reviewed the code changes in detail many, many months ago, and again
> when I reviewed the test suite changes about 2 months ago.  Apart from a
> minor issue with the testsuite (I flagged those on github), I consider
> the changes ready.

I'm aware :) I wanted to give it another test spin, and now that
dbscripts is all setup on Gitlab it also shows test coverage. The idea
is that we setup a new server with debuginfod and when that's all
deployed update the wiki so users can easily generate backtraces with
gdb (even without enabling debug repos).

> BTW, great to see this happening!  This is the sort of leadership we
> need to keep the distro rolling.  Is this a early push for election in
> around 6 weeks time?  :)

This was a collaboration between anthraxx, dvzrv and me. My idea is that
this hopefully keeps everyone on the same page and allows others to
discover / help out issues/developments in Arch Linux.

Greetings,

Jelle van der Waa