[arch-dev-public] Arch Monthly Report - November

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 30 22:33:59 UTC 2021

On 11/18/21 03:19, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On 18/11/21 00:08, Levente Polyak via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> The idea so far was to release LTO in a second iteration as some
>> concerns were raised to do both set of changes at the very same time.
>
> My concerns about this are rather limited, as other distros use many
> (all?) of the new build flags and LTO.  And compiler/linker errors
> should make it clear which is the issue.

Applied LTO default option as well as it indeed should be rather easy to
spot and especially easy to disable via a simple !lto option.

devtools released as 20211129-1 and currently sitting in [staging] so we
have a package ready purely for toying around. It will be moved to
[testing] once the python 3.10 rebuild is finished to avoid interfering
with an already cumbersome huge rebuild (there are rebuilder hosts that
have testing enabled and we don't want them to pick up the new flags yet).

> Is there plans for a distro-wide rebuild to get the benefits of the
> added flags, and bulk fix any issues?

Yes, the idea is to get some testing for a limited amount of time via
[testing] and once moved start a huge rebuild.

cheers,
Levente