[arch-dev-public] RFC Final Comment Period: Adoption of a distribution-wide Code of Conduct

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 6 10:47:13 UTC 2021

On 27/9/21 4:33 am, David Runge via arch-dev-public wrote:
> An RFC has now entered Final Comment Period. In 14 days, discussion will
> end and the proposal will either be accepted, rejected or withdrawn:
>
> https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/rfcs/-/merge_requests/6
>
> Please visit the above link for discussion.

Note that visiting the above link to make a comment would require
agreeing to the Terms of Service, which includes the document under
discussion. However, the RFC process does allow discussion external to
the merge request, so people should feel free to respond elsewhere.

I do not disagree with Arch having *a* code of conduct. I disagree with
Arch formally adopting *this* code of conduct. As I stated in [1], I
find the current document to be extremely long. This is mostly due to
explaining points in a level of detail that I consider condescending to
the community. For example, I'm not sure a word other than condescending
can be used to describe explaining in great detail what a troll is to a
technical Linux distribution community.

I do not think Arch should formally adopt *this* code of conduct.

[1]
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2021-July/030474.html

Regards,
Allan