[arch-dev-public] [RFC] archweb nvchecker integration

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 2 17:41:15 UTC 2022

On 2/2/22 18:32, Evangelos Foutras via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 at 22:27, Jelle van der Waa via arch-dev-public
> <arch-dev-public at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> The question is if anyone object to checking these small .NVCHECKER
>> files into our svn repository. If there are no real objections, I'll
>> start implementing this functionality into archweb in two weeks.
>
> I'm not fond of the hidden all-caps filename for editable sources
> (whereas it's fine for .BUILDINFO and friends). More importantly
> though, has integration with [1] been considered? The best way to
> implement automatic version checking in Arch is to use existing
> infrastructure if possible. 🐱
>
> [1] https://release-monitoring.org/
> cases.

Hi,

thanks for the info. We have considered release monitoring but it has
some notable disadvantages being disconnected from what we really may
package in several cases like forks.

There is a README in https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/sandcrawler

Overall the nvchecker kind of approach is the best we can aim for if we
do not want to re-invent the wheel.

cheers,
Levente