[arch-dev-public] On the toolchain current status

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 7 15:26:54 UTC 2022

Hi All,

Most of you are aware that our toolchain is currently outdated. We always had very few people
working on it through the years and I took over once Barth left, because it was needed.

However, I have been having very little time to work on Arch related stuff lately and the
toolchain is the most noticeable victim, given it is one of the most time consuming.
In this meantime, a few things also happened that compounded to the issue, among them, we enabled LTO.

Right now I'm working on bringing new glibc 2.35 and also waiting on binutils release so we
can bring the toolchain up to date. I'm aware we also have a GCC release coming out soon, and
the toolchain will need a new rebuild then.

For the future, we are trying to bring more people to work with the whole toolchain, so it is
not too much of a bus factor. We should have at least two toolchain maintainers, not just one.

I hope this serves to assuage the concerns over the current status of our toolchain, both present
and going future.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini