[arch-dev-public] build automation discussions

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 7 15:32:11 UTC 2022

On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 11:28:02AM +0100, Xyne via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the recent discussions about possibly adding support for x86_64-v3 the
> general consensus seemed to be that we need to first work on our packaging
> infrastructure (build pipelines, reproducible builds, etc.).
>
> Who's currently working on that and where I can get involved? Are there already
> any tools in development? Aside from some helper tools such as
> arch-rebuild-order I didn't find anything in the list of official projects on
> our Gitlab.

I'm sorta working a bit on extending the devtools tooling in contrib. I don't
think it replaces a proper CI build system. But it might give some inspiration
for how we can resolve dependency chains and doing rebuilds.

https://github.com/archlinux/contrib/blob/morten/rebuild/package/rebuildctl
https://github.com/archlinux/contrib/blob/master/package/rebuild-todo

I'm working a bit on joining the above tools into buildctl which should be able
to resolve dependency chains, do rebuild and todo lists. Which I have some hopes
can be the frontend for some CI infrastructure. Also in Python so I don't have
to do more bash-golfing.

For creating a CI infra I'm wondering if buildbot would allow us the flexibility
we'd need to have something that works. I haven't made up my mind if using
Gitlab for this is a good idea?

https://buildbot.net/

Generally the people that actively work on this gather on IRC in the
#archlinux-projects and #archlinux-reproducible IRC channels. There are a lot of
experimentation so any contribution would be great.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16