[arch-dev-public] Upcoming PHP 8.1 update

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Jan 2 13:00:22 UTC 2022

So, its been some time and things seem to look a lot better now. I see
the nextcloud patch was merged some time ago as well. We might need to
aplly it manually as I don't see a patch release for some reason. Most
things work fine with PHP 8.1. So far the issues are mostly arbitrary
versions constraints or actual bugs that would be broken on 8.0 as
well. (e.g. conflicting type hints in sub classes)

My plan is to prepare updating the php package to 8.1 and create a
rebuild list. At the same time I'll remove the php7 package. It's been
a year now and I would consider anything that only works on php7 as
unmaintained. Here is a list of php7-packages that would be affected:
* mediawiki: works fine with PHP 8
* drupal: should work on PHP 8 according to upstream
* zabbix-frontend-php: unclear; I read that it might have been fixed
in version 5.4
* phpvirtualbox: probably broken; latest release was in 2018. This
should be remvoed fro mthe repos imho
* web-news: brobably broken; latest release was in 2009. Also should be removed.
* phppgadmin: probably broken; development seem slow or stalled on PHP
8 support. We might need to drop this as well
* phpldapadmin: might work. New version was just released and claims
to support anything newer than PHP 7.2
* dokuwiki: unclear; might need patches

Greetings,

Pierre