[arch-dev-public] Starting x86_64_v3 port

Felix Yan felixonmars at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 29 03:12:22 UTC 2022

On 1/29/22 02:12, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
> The decision to be made is who will package for this repo?  I think
> these are the options:
>
> A) packagers upload both x86_64 and x86_64_v3 to the repos. Our build
> server will help those without x86_64_v3 machines.
>
> B) we recruit some packagers to build the x86_64_v3 packages.
>
> C) Some combination of A+B.
>

> My understanding is our x86_64 port started with B, then C, then A.

I am fine with either and could happily help with B in long term.

For me the issue with either B or C is that our packages are often FTBFS
and we are slow to fix them, generally. To make the port really usable
for a B/C workflow, we need a way to fill in the time gap (because the
old package could be unusable for the time, like missing a so-name bump
etc).

Do you find it acceptable if the x86_64_v3 rebuilders put back in the
new x86_64 package until the build was fixed and probably a point pkgrel
was added for the real x86_64_v3 rebuild, as long as we use B/C to build
for x86_64_v3, in the long term?

--
Regards,
Felix Yan