[arch-dev-public] Starting x86_64_v3 port

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sat Jan 29 18:19:49 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-29 13:11:05 (+0100), Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public wrote:
> * Signing enclave
> * Better rebuilding tools
> * Build automation
> * Git migration
>
> It would make discussions like these completely obsolete. Do we want
> v2, v3, v4, v5, v90001? Enable it in a setting and we'd have the
> repos. It is a lot of work but it would modernize and make things a
> lot simpler for us.

FWIW: I fully agree with the above.

As tempting as it may seem to "just do it": The time spent on the
tooling that would allow us to handle this amount of packages in an
automatable fashion lacks greatly.

I do not see that "we have had feature X for Y years" can serve as
reason for introducing a lot more work or for adding outsiders to the
packaging context. The tooling - instead of improving - will further
stagnate and be cemented this way. This is something we have to consider
and work on.
I am afraid that otherwise we are maneuvering ourselves into an
unmanagable corner with this.

To be more specific: I believe our current best way forward is to
continuously propagate our pain point projects that are our main
blockers to achieve adding more architectures easily (and in a
manageable fashion, without burning out packagers).
We need more contributors to improve and focus on these projects and
this can and should be done by advertising them more specifically and
more regularly.

I am not against introducing one or many new architectures, but I am
certain that it will take a negative toll on our current group of
packagers (even with additional packagers) due to the current set of
tooling at hand (as it diverts the attention from improving the
tooling).

Best,
David

--