[arch-dev-public] openssl 3.0

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Jan 30 12:02:17 UTC 2022

So I just build the 437 packages (pkgbase) and let my computer compile
for just 25 hours. The initial results can be seen here
https://md.archlinux.org/s/t8HOyhNOi

Currently there are 27 packages in [core]/[extra] and 92 in
[community] that do not build. I did not check the logs for every
package yet, but I guess there are these categories:
* package does not build regardless of OpenSSL (e.g. unavailable
sources, checksum mismatch, issues due to LTO, ...)
* packages also links to a not yet update package that still uses openssl-1.1
* packages are actually incompatible with OpenSSL 3.0

I'll need some help with:
* Document why a package fails (complete build logs are attached to
the document linked above)
* Create a todo list for packages that are broken for other reasons and fix them
* Review the legacy openssl-1.1 package and check if this approach is
valid. (last time we patched versiond symbols in 1.0 which I did not
apply here) See
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/tree/packages/openssl-1.1/trunk
and https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/tree/packages/openssl-1.0/trunk
* Fix the incompatible packages and as a last resort link to 1.1

PS: if there is a tool that is able to rebuild and install packages in
the correct order (not by explicit dependency but by so lib links),
let me know.

Greetings,

Pierre