[arch-devops] Moving projects.archlinux.org to luna.archlinux.org

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 9 23:57:12 UTC 2016

Hello,

Florian suggested to move cgit and archweb to nymeria or luna. In this mail, I
will only focus on cgit, better known as projects.archlinux.org.

Currently:
- the web interface is a cgit on gudrun.
- http server is apache and run cgit via cgi-bin
- cgit scan /srv/git for repositories
- /srv/git is a NFS mountpoint from gerolde
- so, the git repositories are on gerolde
- users push to repos via ssh directly on gerolde. They will have to update
their remotes url.
- the total space of git repositories is about 730MiB

Currently, my preference would be to move the storage and the web interface on
the same host. I see more benefits than moving web interface on luna and git
repo on nymeria. We don't eat the space twice and we have all the repo
accessible under the projects.al.org  dns.

Nonetheless, if we move the storage to nymeria, we save the configuration of
ssh access to all devs + externals to luna. Not sure if this is relevant if we
move to accounts to ldap.

Thoughts?

Here is a short planning if we go through this option:
1) setup a new cgit on luna (with nginx and uwsgi)
2) copy repos for testing purpose
3) create gitshell access to users
4) plan official migration date
5) reduce dns ttl of projects.al.org
6) wait for it
7) cut write access to gerolde repo
8) final repo sync
9) update dns records and restore ttl
10) take a beer

I see there is also dev.archlinux.org on gudrun that I could also move to luna
too.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer