[arch-devops] Let's get a big build box

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Wed Jan 23 10:55:45 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 09:30:04AM +0100, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-devops <arch-devops at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
> Almost 500€ a month is complete overkill for what we do and what we
> actually need.

500€ per month does indeed sound like too much. I can see why we'd maybe
want a box with slightly more memory or with SSDs, but then again I
don't know if building on HDDs really slows things down all that much
compared to our current tempfs builds. Maybe someone is interested in
building some 5-10minute package to get us some numbers to compare? If
HDDs are really much slower, I can see why we might want a new machine
with SSDs, but I don't see us needing as big of a machine as what you
suggested.

Florian